Could not execute CVTRES.EXE


Today I started woking on a windows application at home and I was very annoyed by the error I was getting whenever I tried to debug/build the application that said: “Could not execute CVTRES.EXE

Tried lots of things like giving full rights to “everyone”  on the debug folder and some other silly things, untill I found out that there was something in ZoneAlarm that was causing the problem. I had to uninstall and re-install ZoneAlarm. Turning it off was not sufficient. I never understood what was causing the problem at that time and to be honest I’m not too concerned with that either. May be there was some setting that needed a reset or something. But anyway like they say: “All is well that ends well”!

Hope some of you might find this useful someday.

Advertisements

Author: Imran Akram

A .NET/SharePoint Consultant and a political enthusiast who believes in putting the feet of the elected and/or unelected officials to fire in order to get good governance.

7 thoughts on “Could not execute CVTRES.EXE”

  1. I am Building an open source API in C# in Visual Studio 2010 and I get the very same error. It seems that nobody is really able to solve it and the only solutions I see are like yours, to remove Zone Alarm. My problem is that I don’t have that Zone Alarm on my computer so something else is causing the problem. Do you know what could that be?
    Thank you 🙂

    1. Pretty difficult to say from here really. But it could be caused by “some” conflicting application, consider uninstalling/disabling those applications that you’re not using, clean your registery of invalid values. I guess that’s all from the top of my head really. Good luck

  2. I don’t have ZoneAlarm, I have Microsoft Security Essentials, I allowed CVTRES.EXE through both MSE and Windows Firewall, I reinstalled Visual Studio, Microsoft .NET Framwork 4.0, I even reinstalled Windows. I STILL got that error, it’s really starting to tick me off >_<. Can you please help me fix this?!?!

    1. Hi, I remember about a year ago when I was dealing with this problem, I was trying to use a C# api..I did EVERYTHING possible, re-installation, deportation, different machine, tracing. I dumped the api and just search for a different version done by a different entity and it just worked. So i believe this is only a problem with the coding of an imported library you are using..

      God luck!

  3. Found this while trying to install and/or run gmail notifier pro (and portable) under Win8 (x64).

    I’d also had a(n) similar error when running MobaLiveCD v2.x under Win8 (not Win7) of not allowing another program to be executed/spawn an application/create a file/etc.

    Finally, I added the permission “ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES” to the files security group, giving it the appropriate rights.

    Not here though.

    See ya gMail Notifier Pro.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s